Thursday, February 4, 2016

Discount Christianity

  
  
  
Prayer 


  Father God, help me to deny myself daily. Help me to take up my cross each and every day and to follow you, even when I am uncomfortable. Help me to love Truth and to walk by faith and not by sight. Give me strength, courage, and a willingness to serve you on your terms.Help me to live a surrendered life that you may receive glory. Please help my unbelief-I find it easy to trust you in many areas and in others I struggle. I declare my confidence and hope in you in the name of Jesus' I pray, Amen.  



Discount Christianity by Veronica Garrett 

 Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.”(Luke 9:23)

Following the Lord and daring to trust Him beyond myself is often hard. Surrendering my desires, hopes and dreams is at times a painful journey.  At times denying oneself is such a sad thing, but how else can a resurrected life be lived.  In order to live a new life by His power the old one has to die. The water immersion symbolized the death to self and newness of life in Christ.  
If we are not careful we promise people all the benefits of spirit filled living in what I call discount Christianity.  Webster defines a discount as a reduction made from a regular or list price. Many who are not willing to pay the price of being a disciple but would like to claim the peace and joy of the Lord, the power of God and blessing of His provision. They spend days, months, and years wondering why this Christianity thing doesn't seem to quite work for them.  
Meanwhile, everything about their message, their vision and values are counter Christianity.  The peace and joy of the Lord abided in the heart of those who are willing to trust and obey. Discount Christianity won't bring the power of God because He fills Himself into vessels that are poured out for His sake. The idea that God blesses rebellion and disobedience is untrue. His mercy and his blessings are entirely different.
In our society, many saints are left thinking that maybe if the Way wasn't so narrow, we could recruit celebrities who could attract a following for Jesus.  A discount Christianity says if we place a 75 %-90%  sticker sale then many will follow Christ. Just come to church and pay your tithes. God's wants to bless you. These two are a good start.  He wants a few hours of your time as well as 10% of your income, but more than these He wants YOU. While exercising your faith you are blessed.  
Many Christians are doing the Hokey Pokey. We spend a great deal of stepping out in faith and shrinking back from faith. Christ paid the full price for you. He took up the cup of suffering for me. Mere Christianity is giving one's life to Christ. When the Lord Jesus Christ has 100% of you then and only then are you most useful to Him and most privy to His resources (for His name sake).  

No comments:

Post a Comment