Thursday, January 21, 2016

Forgiving a Betrayal


  

  
Prayer 

Gracious and loving Father, it is you O Lord that I greatly esteem. I'm so thankful for your tender mercies, new each and every morning. Cleanse me from my hidden sin. You desire truth in the hidden and secret places.  Bless my family, friends, and co-workers. Lord today I ask that you will especially bless my enemies. Pour your love into my heart in such away that your forgiveness shown to me lavishly overflows to those who have hurt me. In Jesus' name, Amen.

 Forgiving a Betrayal by Veronica Garrett 
Even my close friend, whom I trusted,
       he who shared my bread,
       has lifted up his heel against me." Psalm 41:9

 


A stranger can take advantage of us, deceive us, or manipulate us but only a friend or loved one can betray us. A person that we love and trust can bring pain into our lives that sting so deeply and wedge wounds that left alone with time that doesn't necessarily heal. If we are not careful the very pain and trauma that we have endured will break our hearts more with each passing day. 
There are few offenses that sting like that of knowing a love one has plotted against you. Somehow the one who was supposed to bring healing and safety brought deception and devastation. The damage may seem irreparable when we have been betrayed.When our efforts to protect ourselves from being hurt by anyone results in us being guarded from everyone we have allowed the offense to have a lasting power over our life’s journey.
There is a culture that says we should forgive and forget, but perhaps we should pray God’s forgiveness to overflow our hearts so that we can forgive.  The Lord God chooses not to remember our sins but that doesn’t mean that he’s forgotten them.  He knows the end from the beginning so He does not erase his awareness of our sins but he says for his own sake he does not remember.  
He chooses not to hold our confessed and repented offenses against us because our Savior paid our sin debt.  We must follow his example and for our own sake choose to free those who have hurt us.  We must choose to grace them as we ourselves have received grace through faith. It is my prayer that God will enlighten the eyes of your heart that you may rejoice in beauty and blessing of being forgiven so that it may overflow to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment