Wednesday, March 19, 2014

THE SUBSTANCE

THE SUBSTANCE
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Hebrews 11:1
 
According to Merriam Webster, the word substance is a noun that can be defined as a material of a particular kind. And so a substance by its definition something that is tangible. And so I find myself with a dilemma. In the last few weeks I have been asked over and over the same questions regarding my future. Every person that inquires cannot be satisfied with my plan. It is to follow Jesus and trust Him and I don’t have all of the answers. And so they keep asking me what’s my plan and I keep trying to show them my faith. 
 
The problem with showing your faith is most people cannot see it. I don’t have any evidence of what I’m hoping for. Nevertheless, I have faith that has materialized itself in a very tangible way. It is very real to me. And so I’m not sitting around twilling my thumbs as if God won’t come through. I’m living on purpose believing God will do exactly what He planned. I’m trusting that I am who God says I am, believing that I can do what God says I can do and that I will accomplish what God has planned.

 
I believe the rich blessings of God are not when we live at arm’s length away from Him but are in His presence. I’m agreeing with God that His plan far exceeds my own. It may appear weak because I do not control my own destiny to those who appear to be in control. Why won’t I take control of my future? God is in control and those who trust in Him will never be put to shame.
 
I’ve learned that although the pieces of the puzzle may seemed scattered and out of sorts God is always working and fitting them together to bear witness to His goodness and His grace. I die daily to my will so that I may live in His. Greatness in God is found in our willingness to serve others. The astonishing thing is that God’s plans for our lives exceed our own. We have believed the lie far too long that living for God restrains and restricts us when it liberates and delivers us. God is longing to be gracious to us. His plan always includes blessing us.
 
The life of faith stretches us, strengthens us, deepens us, and delivers us from self centeredness. There are many things that I regret about my life but following Jesus is not one of them. He is the Author and Finisher of my faith. Far too long have I ignored His creative plans and failed to follow the story line—it’s all about Jesus. For this reason I fix my eyes on the One who has begun a good work. Not knowing can be hard at times because it is not an acceptable answer. 
   
As I cooperate with His plans, little by little He discloses more to me. By faith, I build my life in consideration of God’s will for it. I have never been more on track, so to speak. I know that without faith it is impossible to please God. And so, I may lack tangible goals or dreams but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. I’ve tossed aside my “good” dreams for “God-size” dreams. And so, I live by faith, and it is the substance that is very real. God is building something beautiful and the material He uses is faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment